Where can you reach out for help when you have a need:
- United Way 2-1-1: Dial 211 for assistance for food, utilities, abuse, recycling regulations, becoming foster parents & where to get medical assistance, 914-997-6700.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255, suicidepreventionlifeline.org
- Veterans Crisis Center: 800-273-8255 (press 1)
- Domestic Abuse Hotlines: Westchester County Office for Women 914 995-5972 or My Sister’s Place, 800 298-7233.
- Childhood Abuse Reporting Hotline: NY State Central Register, 800-342-3720.
- Haitian Resource Center: Slater Center, 2 Fisher Ct, 914-648-6311.
- El Centro Hispano:
- White Plains & Greenburgh NAACP:
- United Way’s Financial Ed Program: Workshops, online resources; coaching on getting finances in order.
- Westchester Food Bank-
- Ecumenical Food Pantry- 2 Fisher Circle 914 563-2960, (Foodbanks.net)
- Meals on Wheels of WP-
- Senior Center: weekly meals ($3)
- Grace’s Kitchen: weekday meals 10:30-11:30 & take home on Friday for weekend, 33 Church St.
- SNAP: Westchester Dept of Social Services, 85 Court St, 914-995-3333.
- NY Benefits
- Grace Church Community Center: Samaritan House Homeless Shelter for Women at 33 Church St and Open Arms Homeless Shelter for Men on E Post Rd
- Salvation Army: 16 Sterling Ave, 914-948-2908, New York.salvationarmy.org.
- Westchester Living Center (ADA)
- YWCA (inexpensive housing) Residence N Broadway
- YMCA (inexpensive housing) Residence Mamaroneck Ave.
- Coachman Family Center: homeless shelter for families mostly: westhab.org, 914 946-3371.
- Westchester County Emergency services for Adults and Families.
- White Plains Housing Authority (Sec 8; affordable housing): 223 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard, 914 949-6462, wphany.com.
- Habitat for Humanity of Westchester: habitatwc.org, Westchester Habitat ReStore of Mt Vernon , 659 Main St, New Rochelle, 914-699-2791, email@example.com
- Neighborhood Rehabilitation: 914-422-1399; firstname.lastname@example.org, help with repairs, maintenance of properties
- Gilda’s Club: Cancer Support
- Westchester County Health Dept
- Medicaid (for eligible disabled/ low income ) Apply through Westchester County,
- Medicare (for eligible seniors 65+) Social Security Office & online.
- Veterans Administration ( 300 Hamilton Ave, first floor, Suite C, 914 682- 6250)
- Vets White Plains Community Clinic : 23 S Broadway, 914-421-1952 (x4300) Women’s health clinic
- United Way FamilyWize card for pharmacy discounts.
- Phelps Hospital: 701 N Broadway, Sleepy Hollow, phelpshospital.org. The Holistic Pain Support Program.
- White Plains Hospital:
- New York Presbyterian Hospital:
- Burke Rehabilitation Hospital:
- Junior League of Westchester (JLCW): Diaper Bank, email@example.com, 914 723-6442
Children’s Clothing (0-18):
- JLCW Teen Boutique: April 21, 2018 at Westchester County Center ( items for 13-19yr olds)
- Sharing Shelf of Family Services of Westchester
- Kid’s Kloset through Westchester JCC
Children Programs (0-18):
- Youth Bureau Programs: 11 Amherst, 914- 422-1378: Special Events, Camp Central Spring/Winter (Church St School) Camp school vacations (fees). Bits N’ Pieces (Church St School), Summer Enrichment program (fees with scholarship offered, Middle School Stem Camp (Church St School), Health & Wellness Summer Fitness Boot Camp (free YB), After School Connection at various schools & Slater Center, Youth Employment & Volunteer Opportunities; Enrichment &Personal Growth Activities.
- The Edge at (WP Public Library) WPPL: edge.whiteplainslibrary.org, 422-1481 Steam and Coding Camps and Summer Reading Game
- Youth Bureau Programs 11 Amherst Place 914 422-1378 whiteplainsyouthbureau.org Programs for Heath, Job Bank, Mentors, Teen Lounges at Battle Hill & Eastview for after school and weekends, Leadership, Youth Court and trips
- Youth Bureau (YB) After School Connection (k-8) SAT & College Preparation (for 11th-12 graders), letsgetready.org (fees)
- The American Camp Association-Camp Scholarships: ACAcamps.org
- A Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account: Pre-tax money used for child care and adult dependent or health care so see if available at work
- Child & Dependent Care Tax Credit: Tax credit up to $3000 per child but called at $6000.
- Born Learning: free activities & games to prepare for school.
- WP Public Library the Trove for children (trove.whiteplainslibrary.org) and The Edge (teens)
- WP Parks & Recreation Dept. Playing fields, playgrounds & pools (914-422-1339).
- Westchester Jewish Community Center: North Broadway
- Coachman Family Center: 123 E Post Rd, 914 949-1000
- The Career Closet (WPETC) providing clothing for interview & employment
- Westchester Living Center: ADA
- Arc of Westchester
- IDEA: Ages 0-21 (School system)
- Social Security: SSI and SSD
- W.I.L.C.: for people with disabilities.
- Rapid Recovery Program: Registry for vulnerable children (i.e. autistic) or adults (dementia) providing information for emergency response. 914 422 8514, wppublicsafety.com.
- White Plains Education Training Center
- NY Labor Dept: (120 Bloomindale Rd)
- Center for Career Freedom:1 E Post Rd, 914 288-9763, free training and employment agency
- Learning English at Library
- Learning to Use Computers Senior Center/Library
- Ruth Taylor Scholarships: Assistance to becoming Social Worker
- White Plains Education Center
- White Plains Adult Education
- Age In Place
- Senior Center White Plains
- Medicare (65 and above to eligible recipients)
- AARP Foundation: Tax preparation (WPPL & WP Education Training Center)
- WP Recreation & Parks Adult Programs (60+) Center Café, Transportation, Support and Wellness Programs, Grocery Shopping transportation besides other services and activities.
- Para Transit of Westchester County 914 995-7272 (press 2) for disabled
- RideConnect Westchster: rideconnectwestchester.org, 914-242-7433, free volunteer rides to 60+.
- My Second Home: White Plains 914-422-8100, Intergenerational Adult Day Program. (Dementia care)
- The Loft: 252 Bryant Ave, loftgaycenter.org.
- United Way 2-1-1 orientations & working with Family Ties & Westchester County to becoming Foster Parent.
Other Free Services:
- Museum passes from White Plains Public Library (WPPL), Mobile WiFi Hotspots to Borrow, US Conversational Spanish, US Citizen Classes, Career Abd Small Business Programs and others.
- WPPL: Books, DVD’s, magazines & newspapers for use at WPPL
- Heritage Exploration at Library
- Activities for adults and children at WPPL
- WPPL (Library)
- Martin Luther King Jr Library (Slater Center)
- Christian Science Reading Room (Mamaroneck Ave)
- Westchester Legal Aide: 150 Grand St, Suite 1, 914-682-4112
- Legal Services of the Hudson Valley
Free Newspaper (on street):
- The White Plains Examiner
- Westchester Hispano
- Westchester Family: westchesterfamily.com, free online digital subscription.
- Westchester Parent
- Westchester Senior Voice: westchesterseniorvoice.com
- Westchester/Rockland Special Child: nyparenting.com
- Online: Patch & Daily Voice
- Shop Discounts White Plains: Costs one time $5 fee but look for at events where they sign you up for free. Discounts and special offers from WP Vendors/Stores.
- Iron Tomato Reward Card: Free (up to $10) for salad/sandwich after buying salads/sandwiches. Ask for card at register and show each time when buying a salad or sandwich.
- Movie Reward Card Starpass: WP Cinema free movie, pop corn or drinks for points earned by seeing movies and buying food/snacks/drinks. Ask at ticket counter and sign up online. Show card when making purchases.
- Westchester Restore of Mt Vernon: 658 Main St, New Rochelle, firstname.lastname@example.org, 914-699-2791