This entry is an updated version of “Businesses and Organizations” in White Plains, NY: A City of Contrasts:
White Plains (WP) has a number of businesses and organizations that were established before 1940: Hecht Hardware established in 1904, is one of the city’s oldest businesses and has been located at the WP Mall since the early 1970’s. The store’s previous location on Spring St (demolished) was demolished during Urban Renewal so store was relocated to WP Mall. The mall houses a number of long time businesses and the DMV. Westchester Train & Hobbies, Chillemi Shoe Repair (established 1949) and Franklin Clock Shop. There are now plans to demolish and replace the mall.
M.L. Condon (lumber) Company on Ferris Ave dates from 1912. CG Swackhamer Inc (construction) at 139 Westmoreland has been in business since 1900. Fisher & Miller Inc (meats) at 85 Westmoreland Ave has been in business since 1934.
Lee’s Funeral Home established in 1915 is now on Fisher Ave. Sam’s of Gedney Way, a restaurant since 1932, is still located on the Gedney Way but moved to its present locale in 1969. See their website for more information. Amodio’s Nursery on Mamaroneck Ave dates back to 1939.
The Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) was established back in 1896 and moved to 250 Mamaroneck Ave in 1928. In 1967, the older building was renovated and expanded. Announced in 2019 were plans to replace building with residential housing. YWCA of White Plains and Central Westchester dates from 1929 and more info is in another entry on N Broadway.
The Music Conservatory of Westchester was founded in 1929 and is now located on Central Ave. The Rotary Club dates back to 1919.
The 1928 Belmont Hotel became the Roger Smith Hotel in 1935. WFAS first broadcast from the Hotel before it moved to Hartsdale. The building that became the Coachman Hotel in 1977 was taken over by Westchester County during the 1980’s becoming the Coachman Family Center.
The Pix Theater (1935) at 355 Mamaroneck Ave was first theatre in Westchester made for “talkies,” with a 440 seat auditorium. Closed in 1976, it was converted into restaurant and now it is part of the Pedigree Ski Shop. The former Colony Movie Theatre is still on Mamaroneck but is now completely occupied by stores & offices.
Mail service in WP began during colonial days with the establishment of the post road. The Post Office (below), that opened in 1932 once housed the Battle of WP mural displayed at the library, is now a County Building (25 Quarropas Ave). It is located on Grand St. at Quarropas Ave corner. Nu-Way Dry Cleaners established in 1945 was established by the Bayliss family. Fredericks was a tailors in 1905 and became a dry cleaners in 1927.
McMahon, Lyon & Harnett Funeral Home established in 1942 as Tracy-McMahon (Frank McMahon & father-in-law George Tracy) moved in 1946 to its present location on Mamaroneck Ave. In 1964, the business expanded to include the 100 yr old Lyon-Harnett Undertakers. Ballard- Durand Funeral Home started with Arthur Ballard who came to WP in 1930 but was established in NY City late in late 1800’s. Was on Cromwell Place in 1930 but now on Maple Ave by 1938. George Durand joined the home soon after. Building was home of Humphrey Lynch built in early 1900’s by Emmett E Waite.
Peck’s Skate Shop at 31 Lake St has been in business since 1936.
Thomsons Art & Frame has been in business over 75 yrs started. Business started on E Post Rd in 1925 and has been owned by the Sohn Family for about 31 yrs is at 184 Mamaroneck Ave. Right next door, Sam Ash Music (established in 1924 Brooklyn) has been in WP during the late 60’s but the store took over a music store that had a 20 yr history.
Colonial Needle Company started in Watertown NY in 1888 (different name) but when it moved to Yonkers it got its present name. Located now on Westmoreland Ave.
Kent Supply Company established in 1931 has a location on Ferris Ave.
Sears started as a catalog company in 1895 and there has been a store in WP for decades.
Scarlet Deli dates from 1964. Klahr Glass now at 65 Bank St was established in 1932.
Elks Club in WP dates from 1900 was established in NYC in 1867-8 as drinking club on Elk St.
El Centro Hispano, Inc., serving the needs of the growing Hispanic Community, was established in 1974 and became incorporated in 2000.
White Plains Beautification Foundation has origins that go back to 1952; was incorporated in 1965. They support; maintain gardens throughout the city.
The Women’s Club of WP has origins that go back to 1904.
Organizations/businesses not found here might be found in other sections as well as more information. Many businesses and organizations have their own websites and Social Media pages.