White Plains Hospitals

DSC01685St. Agnes Hospital (left) that closed in 2003 had its beginnings in 1908. The medical building on the property underwent renovations and the former hospital was repurposed into an assistive living facility (the Bristol). The plans to turn the rest of the complex into a retirement community have yet to happen. A grotto (below) remains near the entrance.

3

NY Presbyterian Hospital now occupies the buildings and the property where in the 1894 Bloomingdale Hospital opened.  Many of the buildings from the original hospital are still in use.

Bloomingdale (Insane) Asylum (1821-1889 ) in Manhattan bought the WP farmland in 1868 and when the NY City location closed, the hospital moved to WP. The hospital got its original name from the section of New York City where the first hospital was located. The road leading from the New York City hospital was also named Bloomingdale and in the 19th century it became part of Broadway. Bloomingdale is Dutch in origin.  Bloomingdale Rd in WP was named after the hospital. The hospital’s wrought iron fencing still surrounds the property with NY Hospital (Cornell) signs.

The original hospital grounds were designed by Frederick L. Olmsted Company. The main building dates from 1894 and two of the homes that were on the grounds when the property was purchases are still on the grounds. The hospital’s wrought iron fencing still surrounds the property with NY Hospital (Cornell) signs. A redeveloped city park at the corner of Bryant and Mamaroneck Ave was once part of the hospital grounds. There are now walking trails and new signage at entrance.

dsc02916  bryantm5

Interestingly, the Bloomingdale’s Department Store located on a section of the hospital’s original property is named for the store’s founders, Joseph and Lyman G. Bloomingdale whose father was Bavarian. The store opened in 1975.
121.jpgWP Hospital, established in 1893, was relocated to its present location and the first building was constructed in 1939. The hospital has expanded over the years but the older structure is still part of the complex.

Burke Rehabilitation Hospital (below) on Mamaroneck Ave opened in 1915 as the Winifred Masterson Burke Foundation. There are 12 buildings in neoclassical style. dsc02785-2